Monday, June 26, 2006

Consider this...

Calen reminded me today, it's not about telling someone they're wrong when the view is different. It's about asking one to make a consideration, intending to create the possibility of another choice. It's the most appropriate way to handle disagreements. There's no attack, conversation doesn't get heated, and all viewpoints are heard.

My story: Calen and I went hiking today and were having a conversation. I stated a racket I was having and conveyed the reasoning behind it. He turned to me and instead of saying, "That's wrong," he said, "I get that, but will you consider this?" It was perfect. That was the one communication tool I forgot about since the Forum. I wasn't the least bit offended by his take on it and it actually gave me a different perception, one that I took on myself, one that I wasn't aware of. It was really great to have an opportunity for another choice, without taking it personally. I like this style, I'm going to practice this from here on out, given the chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home