Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Out of Character

It was awesome. Last night I had my SELP class, I missed the last one so it felt like I haven't been there in awhile. Our leader, Marg(h)a, asked if we made any unreasonable requests this week and I immediately raised my hand...so out of character for me. She, of course, called on me almost instantly and I went to the front of the room to share my story. I told the participants why I wasn't there on Monday, that I was in New York, joining the 9/11 demonstration. I told them how scared I was, unknowing of what the New Yorkers would think, but did it anyway. Hence, my unreasonable request. I said the reason we were there was to get an investigation open to what really happened on 9/11 and to spread awareness that our government still refuses to answer our questions. For some reason, I wasn't nervous talking about it...I can't imagine what was going through their minds as they listened to me. I felt good about what I was doing, nudging over 50 people at once, and also tackling my fear of public speaking. It's funny how worried I've been about what people think of me because seriously, I didn't give a shit last night. It showed too! Later in the evening, Marga used me, my passion, and my cause in a positive example, saying that nobody can take that away from me. She was proud of me for standing up for something I truly believe in and I was proud of myself for not letting my fear stop me from my self-expression. Yay!

1 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Good job lady!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home