Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Angry Boys

I got sucked into a subbing job today. It's a third grade class and once again there's no lesson plan. From the minute I picked up the class this morning, three students in particular already had it out for me. They had an agenda and it was to make my life difficult for the day.

When we got to the classroom, two boys immediately attempted to push my buttons. I told myself that I wasn't going to let them get under my skin, however, it's nearly impossible when they're calling each other "faggot", the "N" word, and fighting in the middle of the room. I couldn't help but to observe their anger. I could see right through their acts. It wasn't them talking...it was their parents, older brother or sisters, and/or guardians. These kids have already adopted a way of life that could set limits on them forever. They walk around with these negative attitudes that aren't even real. They can't be. They haven't had the experiences that would allow them to live those stories. These kids are getting it from the anger that surrounds them when they are home. They never got a chance to embrace the joy that life can bring and the love that can be shared. All they know is anger, disappointment, resentment, disrespect, and fear. How can we expect anything different? If they're treated like this at home, it's the only way they know how to be; which then brings more hate into this world as soon as they learn to survive. It's too bad they don't have anyone around to teach them how to live.

Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home