Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Being Me

If you can't be yourself, then what's the point? I want to be real to people, especially to the ones I date. That way there aren't any surprises later on when I'm totally being weird. They won't look at me and wonder, "Who is this person and why I am dating her?" Instead, they will laugh and hopefully join in with me...that' s the best. Isn't that the reason we all want someone special in our lives? We want to be with people who make us feel comfortable and can act ourselves around. That's what I want. I don't want judgements to be apart of any of my relationships...I'd never get to be "me" if I did.

2 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger Julie Neumark said...

judgement....where does it come from anyway? i think of myself and when i have judged (yes, i am human and have judged). why am i doing it? i try to be aware of everything i am doing as i am doing it these days and when i catch myself judging and ask "why?" 99% of the time it is my own insecurities. Theory: if i throw the first punch, it'll somehow block any potential judgement of me. ha! that's ridiculous for a couple of reasons. first, judging someone else is only going to open you up to more judgement. second, no matter how much control we think we have, we can NEVER control what others think of us....so why not be ourselves, 100%? why try to be the person who we THINK will be "acceptable" to others? Vulnerability and rejection i guess. the idea of putting the REAL ME out there to be rejected has always caused me tremendous anxiety. But, as i have been pushing myself to do this more and more, I have found that the reward far outweighs the pain. oh, i've been rejected in the process and it hurts for a minute, like when you are 8 and skin your knee, but then you start playing again and forget all about it. the pleasure and satisfaction i have gotten from putting the REAL ME out there has been unlike anything i have ever experienced - judgement or not. i am quickly losing my tolerance for being anyone else. :)

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Hear hear! I totally agree. It's a great feeling to know that when you are putting your true self out there that you are honoring the lifetime of experiences that have helped make you who you are. When you stop and think about it, why would you want anyone in your life that doesn't accept and love you for who you REALLY are. When you honor yourself, you attract the type of people you want in your life. Not being you, doesn't do anyone any favors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home