Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Dress To Impress

Why do we feel the need to impress others? I do it. She does it. He does it too! For me, it's always been because I never felt good enough. "I must look good in the eyes of others because if they like what I'm wearing, what I'm driving, how I look, and the job I have...I must be okay." Huh!?! Really? Is that what life is about? To look good? Absolutely not....

I'm not going to pretend that I don't love spending money on expensive clothes, accessories, and whatever else I can get my hands on. I will always enjoy that because it's a form of my own creativity and also because I can. Of course, that has not always been my thinking throughout my shopping sprees. I used to buy things to look good because I felt like I had nothing else to share. If I carry a cool purse, it means I'm creative. If I look great in a pair of designer jeans, it means I'm sexy. If my hair is a different color, it means I'm adventureous. If I drive this car, it means I'm cool. If I have this job, it means I'm interesting. All superficial thoughts that has nothing to do with who I really am. Just because I'm carrying that purse, doesn't mean I can pay my bills. Just because I look good in those jeans, doesn't mean my relationships are going to get better. Just because my hair is pretty, doesn't mean I'm going to lose weight. Just because I drive that car, doesn't mean I'm going to be happy in my job now. Just because I work there, doesn't mean that all my problems will go away.

My point: Feeding our egos can be dangerous. It causes us to hide behind the meanings of being superficial.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten years ago I bought a journal and I titled it "Words to Live By". I fill the book with quotes that touch and inspire me and when I feel down, I open the book and I recall the feelings and "light bulb" moments I experienced which helps me to remember how blessed I am. Your blog remined me a of quote by Fannie Brice which states " Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be."

I don't really know too much about you Jamie, but I do know that because of the choices that you are making in your life you are inspiring others to live honestly. So thanks for the bit of sunshine that you've added to my day.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Julie Neumark said...

I second that! And I love that quote...I have a dry erase board in my cubicle that i have deemed the quote board....thank you heather, the fanny brice quote is going up right now!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home