Saturday, April 15, 2006

Opinions are not reality.

Opinions are ONLY opinions. They mean nothing and it's unfortunate that people will sometimes take them to heart even though they're not true, just because someone said it. I'm not a gay activist and I'm not using this blog to promote gay awareness to the world. It just happens to be an issue that I'm very familiar with and it can relate to many different points like tolerance, discrimination, being different, being "real," relationships, acceptance, and love.

There are so many opinions that surround the "gay" word, but they don't make it reality. Most of the time, they come out of religious beliefs or from fear of the unknown. Fortunately, I know those who voice their opinions are only insecure with themselves. How do I know? Because the person saying it has no idea what being gay means. It's either they are not gay, therefore they don't understand and are quick to judge; or they have not come to terms with it themselves. They have absolutely no clue what it's like and they definitely don't know the struggles one deals with when realizing they are gay. They don't know what it's like to look at mom and dad in the eye and tell them, "I'm gay." They quickly dismiss it as a lifestyle or choice which justifies to them, their hatred toward homosexuality.

First, choosing to be gay would be like choosing (with no prior experience) a calculus book over a basic math 101 book. You would choose to have all kinds of struggles when in fact you could have sailed right through it (life). Sorry for the cheesy comparison, but it's the only one I could think of. Now let's go with that opinion and say it is a choice. If that's true, what business is it of theirs? The choices I make for myself has NOTHING to do with anyone else. If it did, I wouldn't have made the choice to begin with. And, besides that, if my own personal choice affects someone else, someone I don't even know, then they are the one with the issues...not me.

Second, a belief is only an opinion and we know that because of all the different religions out there. Different religions have different beliefs and that's our given right as human beings. We choose to believe what we want to believe because we can. If being gay is against everything you know then great...just keep it to yourself because the next person may believe otherwise. And, as we all know, everyone is entitled to their OWN opinions.

Finally, life wasn't made for others to dictate how you should be living, through THEIR opinions and judgments. YOU have every right to be as happy as those who choose their opinions over reality. Live for yourself. It's the only way to "be."

Tags: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...so, this is the third time I've commented on something you've said, I guess I have a lot to talk about.

At any rate, I want to share something about being gay. I've attended two 'gay' events in the last month, one for girls and one for boys. I was utterly blown away by the togetherness and love at both events. Everyone at these events was proud, happy and having a great time. People you've never met looked at you with love, as if they've known you forever. This is one of the reasons I love being gay. The community is amazing, the people are genuine and the love is unconditional.

For all of you ladies and gents out there that are damn happy being gay, rock on! Nobody loves you like you do.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woo hoo... very well said to the both of you!! Loving it! Not to raise my "gay pride" sign or anything, but i did want to say that what you say here is great, and dont apologize for your analogy... it works, its perfect!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home