Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Then Show It

If you love them, let them know. If you appreciate them, acknowledge it. They are in your life because you wanted them to be. Take responsibility for that because we all know how good it feels when someone we care about tells us, "I love you" or "I appreciate you" or gives us a hug or a kiss when we least expect it. Don't deprive them of this gift that only YOU can give. They deserve to know just as much as you do.

My story: I was with my ex-husband for 4 years before we got married, so 5 years altogether. During that whole time, I feared to let him know how much I loved and cared for him. It was difficult for me to say it, let alone express it. He would always be the one to hug me, kiss me, and say, "I love you" first. He did everything first. I couldn't get up enough nerve to do it myself because it was out of my comfort zone, I was too strong for that, and it was something I just "didn't do." It was a good excuse to not do it. I thought that if I showed him how I felt, he'd reject me and I'd be left feeling vulnerable. I blamed him for our failed marriage for a long time. Now I realize that I, too, was to blame. I could've given him more of me but I was too selfish, wrapped up in my own insecurities.

My point: A strong person makes themselves vulnerable for the ones they love. A weak person refuses to be vulnerable.

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home