Friday, May 26, 2006

Boat Trip

It was one year ago when Marisa, Nichole, Raquel and I went camping over this long weekend. The trip started out rocky and ended in a complete disaster...literally. I came out of it really getting why life is precious and knowing that it can end in any moment.

My story: Marisa and I joined Nichole and Raquel on their camping/boat trip in Lake Isabelle last year. We went through several setbacks through the course of the weekend. On the first night, we couldn't find Nichole and Raquel for hours because there was no phone reception. Meanwhile, their boat rolled down a small hill and then they had to move camp twice after already setting everything up. On the second day, the wind was so strong, that the waves made boating more painful than anything. Our tent broke on the third day, after hearing about two young kids that drowned in the lake. Finally, to end our trip with a bang, the four of us were sitting in the boat to hide from the wind so we could play cards. We were making the best out of all the unfortunate circumstances that ocurred and before we knew it, we heard, "THE CAMPGROUND IS ON FIRE!" The four of us looked at eachother in shock. We thought, "No way can this be happening right now." Suddenly we looked up and there was smoke circulating in the sky. There were lines of cars stuck, attempting to drive out. This man tells us we have to leave, so we begin tearing everything down as fast was we can, loading it up in the truck. I'm throwing things in the back, things that I couldn't lift the day before. My adrenaline was rushing, my heart was pounding, and I am terrified that we're not getting out. We get in our vehicles, ready to go and then we're stopped by the fire blocking our way. The firefighters were working hard, cutting down trees, spraying the fire with their hoses, and extinguishing it from a plane. It was so surreal. As we began to plan which way we would run, the fire was put out. At that moment, I felt a sense of relief, a joy for life. I appreciated the men who saved us and let them know as we walked around observing the damage. It was a scary moment, one that I'll never forget.

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Now that really is one crazy ass time. I'm glad that you guys all made it home safe. Those stories are certainly crazy and scary to live out but are so great to tell afterwords.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home