Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Live in the Present

When I write about being present, there is a state of mind that I'm referring to. It's the state of being, having an empty mind where nothing is everything. I know it doesn't make sense if you haven't been through the Landmark Forum or any other type of self-improvement seminar or training. So I am going to try to explain it the best I can.

Think about a time when you've been really focused on something, where nothing else mattered to you in that moment. It could be anything like grocery shopping with a list, listening to the words in a song, reading a book, looking at pictures and/or art work, working on a project, watching TV, etc... Can you recall the silence, the absence of anxiety and stress, and/or the feeling of total concentration? That's what happens when we are being present. We don't hear those little voices saying, "I can't do this." "I am fat." "I am lazy." "I am stupid." "Her outfit is ugly." "He is annoying." Instead, we are focused on the words being said, the actions that are being taken, and the people around us. When we are present, we're not living in the past or the future, not thinking of anything; only what's in front of us NOW. Our feelings are not dictating our actions and our self image is not a concern. Living in reality is the act of being present.

Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home