Friday, June 09, 2006

Landmark vs. Cult

It's funny...when you google Landmark Education, the one thing that stands out for people is the word "cult." I feel the need to touch upon this topic because it's one of the major issues that deter people from doing it, like it almost did me. I heard about how it changed lives and actually observed the changes myself, which then gave me a genuine interest in being a participant. I got on the Internet, googled "Landmark Education" and Bam! The interest was gone because "cult" was brought up in the search. I obviously ended up doing it anyway, due to the trust I have with my friends who already went through. After my experience, I felt it was the best choice I've ever made! It's too bad that people associate Landmark as being a cult-like organization, when there's nothing but good that comes out of it. Some say it's just mind-controlling, a money hungry business and I feel it's my responsibility to stand up for this education, for it holds the truth and the tools of living a happy and fulfilled life as individuals and uniting as a community.

Landmark vs. Cult: Most cults are religious, they take an individual out of the real world and make them "family." They travel through life together, living in an unconventional way that opposes society and the ways of being. Their purpose is to take a member away from their loved ones using brainwashing, extreme measures, and religious beliefs. It's negative, teaching members they can't live on their own, they must follow the ways of the group. There's no individuality, no independence, no unconditional love that can be spread throughout the world. Wisdom isn't a possibility because cults don't encourage personal growth, maturity, or living out dreams.

Landmark is not a religious group, it's a business. Businesses need to make money in order to survive and live out their purpose. They have a vision and it's for the good of ALL humanity. They want to bring peace into this world, so we can live freely, comfortably, and not afraid. Their goal is to make us each aware of how we've been living our lives, how we affect our loved ones, and what we need to do to be successful. They encourage family, friends, LIFE, living it powerfully, standing up for others, and being happy while doing it. They teach acceptance, how to communicate to others, and getting rid of all those negative stories that stop us from "living." They give us the tools to use to be better people and to guide others when they struggle.

Mind-control has been a compelling argument, but so has television (Gina made this distinction). Landmark teaches us how to control our minds, making the negativity not seem like a reality and dealing with our fears we face in our daily lives.

Yes, their sales pitch is heavy, one that I didn't agree with in the beginning. But it's not just about the money, it's about surrounding ourselves with people who want the same thing...to be happy and accept others for who they are. Life transformation is difficult as I said before. It's easy to go back into the same old patterns, ones that made us angry, depressed, and feeling hopeless. That's why it's important to have people around that understand, who "get" it, who can give their support when life seems to be difficult and uncontrollable.

Landmark is an amazing organization, a blessing to my life. If it's the "cult" issue that's keeping you away, don't let it. It's not a cult and I guess the only thing I can say is...TRUST ME. I wouldn't be here if it was, sharing my stories and everything else about my life. I think that would be against cult policy...wouldn't it?

Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home