Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Fifth Assignment

Josh and I were having a great conversation a couple weeks ago, it was about advice that his mom used to give him and something that I totally agree with. In order to get what we want out of life whether it be career, relationships, or wealth, we have to believe. In order for us to believe, we need to act the part. Once we do it enough times, the role that we want for ourselves will hopefully become a reality. For instance, if you're scared of public speaking like me, pretend that you're confident. If you want to be rich, hang out at places where rich people are. If you want to be in a good healthy relationship, pretend you're not searching and he or she will show up unexpectedly. If you want to be skinny and in shape, think and act like you already are. Acting the role is important because it gives us a small taste of what we want, it provides us with the information we need to succeed, and it keeps the motivation and drive going where there are no limits set to stop us.

I am a good example of this. I continuously write on my blog every day with the attitude that I am a writer and I can make a difference in this world. My motivation comes from me pretending that I am writing to millions of people, and that I'm actually inspiring them to take a good hard look at their lives. Let's face it, if you look at the mapstats, I only average about 20 new people a day and most of them don't even stay on for very long to see what I'm writing about. It doesn't bother me and it certainly doesn't deter me from doing it anyway. I know that it's helping me and a few others and that's all that counts for now. I believe that sooner or later, people will come to my site to join me on this journey and when that day comes...I WILL be a writer who had a purpose.

Your assignment: Play your role. Think about what you want and act like you already have it.

A helpful hint: All of us already know how to do this. How do you think we got here in the first place? Through most of our lives, we acted out our negative roles and soon we believed them to be true. Don't you think it's time to change our roles, to play a different part, and to live for a happy ending? I do.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, creating a role for yourself is key. Once you act out your role, people start to look at you differently and react to you. Equally important is 'being' in the moment. If we all allow ourselves to actually 'be', and not worry about anything else but that moment, it shapes us, adding to the person we are creating for ourselves.

Well said girl...

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, you are so right. It is often said in training courses on customer service/relations I had attended that 'perception is the reality' to most people. It is nearly impossible to tell somebody to please not believe their lying eyes. People will believe what they thought they see, hence the importance of your presentation - you show yourself as confident, then they see you as a confident person, unless, of course, you did not prepare for the part and you come out as phony as an eight dollar bill......... You can tell I got lost here.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Josh said...

That's right! My mom always says...

"If you walk like a duck, and talk like a duck...then you're a duck".

What you put out there is what other people see. Even if you don't quite believe it yourself. If you keep telling yourself things like "I'm fat, I'm no good, I'm ugly" then eventually you'll start to believe it and your actions will soon follow suit. The same is true for positive things. I'm funny, I love myself, I'm a good person". It's really a choice so why not make the one that makes you feel great?! I'm telling you, what you put out there is what you get back in return. So start putting good vibes out there...you'll get them back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home