Saturday, April 15, 2006

My "Dumb" Story

I have a story to go along with why I felt "dumber" than my sisters growing up. My older sister, Kristen, is very intelligent. She always got the grades and being only 2 years ahead of us, it was easy to compare myself to her and what she's accomplished academically. Then, there's Jill, my identical twin sister. She's the creative one. Art has always been her talent, her passion, so anything I did wasn't as good. It was difficult for me NOT to compare myself to them, especially since my first "ABC" paper, that both Jill and I brought home, had two different grades. Jill's had the happy face for "Good job!" and mine had the sad face for "You suck!" Honestly, after that...I don't recall other grades that we may have gotten different. That's probably because I stopped caring. My logic was, "If I stop trying, I can't fail so nobody will see how dumb I am." Wow, I can't believe I felt like that for so long. What a wasteful and untrue story to live! I don't know what I'm capable of and to me, that's a good thing. There are no limits and I know as long as I have direction...I can go on for miles and miles.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Julie Neumark said...

what a wonderful realization to have....self sabbotage (sp?) is such a human thing to do - hurt yourself before anyone else can. I do it all the time with relationships....ha, i'm working on that.... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home