Tuesday, April 18, 2006

People are so different, yet so alike.

"Never judge a book by its cover." I agree with this statement whole-heartedly. That's the sad thing about people and I'm guilty of it too. We look at someone and we automatically know their story and we don't even give them a chance. Who or what gives us the right to do that? We do. We think we’re all-knowing, therefore, we are right. We take it upon ourselves to make unfair judgments and then apply it to the way we interact with those people. If they "seem" cool, we're all about them.If they "seem" anything but cool, we don't want anything to do with them. What's the definition of cool you ask? Well, it depends on the person you're asking. I'm into creative and outgoing people, who share the same interests as I do. Bring this up two months ago, and I wouldn't have welcomed anyone different into my world.

At my first seminar, I was surrounded by the most random group of people and I didn't really feel the urge to talk to anyone but my friend Kelly, who I already knew. Of course I looked around at all the unfamiliar faces and then the faces that I recognized from the forum. I placed my judgments and was feeling like I wasn't going to get anything out of it because everyone was so "different"...not like me. Our seminar leader proceeds to break us into groups by location and I was a bit fearful. "What if I get stuck in an awful group with weird people? What do I do then?" We finally settle down into our groups and that's when I meet Wanda, Etty, Walter, Cesar, and Jeraline. Five people who I know nothing about, who all have different issues, and are in a different age group than I. In other words...nothing in common...so I thought.

We had our first meeting and it was truly amazing. I was very skeptical going in but man did I have it all wrong. I can't tell you how cool it was finally sitting down with these total strangers and having real conversations with them. I listened to all the stories, the heartbreaks, and also felt the sense of "hope" and "change" that we all yearned for, circulating in the room. We all brought different views and experiences to the table, something we all needed to hear to get a taste of what real life is about. Afterwards, I felt relief and gratitude, being able to let go of all my judgments and absurd thoughts. I now realize that we may look different, act different, and think differently, but in the end we all want the same thing...to be happy. For that reason alone, the six of us have created this amazing bond that I never would've dreamt as being a possibility. I want to support these people, love these people, and welcome these people into my life forever. That's what life is about and I am open to it all!

3 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Brotherly" love is fantastic! The unknown always brings pleasant surprises... great post!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Julie Neumark said...

a great lesson learned but one all too often forgotten in keeping up with buzz of life's daily tasks. Thank you for the reminder! :)

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got a warm fuzzy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home