Friday, May 19, 2006

A Life Transformation

I've said this many times, how hard a life transformation is. The only way one would know is if they went through it themselves, so I'll let you in on why it's so difficult.

First, we have to figure out what it is that we want to change about ourselves. It can be anything like being more motivated, stop procrastinating, being more loving, etc... It sounds simple, but when we're being completely honest with ourselves, some ugliness will be uncovered and that's what I call a "hard" truth. If we're not willing to be honest, then a life transformation cannot take place. It just won't work.

Second, in order to focus on where the changes need to be made, we must dig deep within ourselves. Most of the time we don't know what specific story it was that made us the way we are. It's easy to dismiss that thought, but when you think about it, it totally makes sense. For instance, I grew up thinking I wasn't as smart as Jill because of an unhappy face I got when I was 5. I lived that 5 year old story all the way through college because I never knew that was the reason. Another story I told was about my scars. I've been ashamed of them all these years because of how Jill and I were told apart when we were young. I carried that with me and still til this day, I am shy about them.

Third, any relationships (parents, siblings, love, or friends) that aren't complete need to be completed. Whether or not we think those old relationships affect us anymore, they actually do. Think about all the grudges we hold, the regret we have, and/or the sadness and anger we have towards other people. Those relationships are not complete, because those emotions do not clear our minds or set us free. We reach our own freedom when those emotions and feelings are not holding us back from life.

Fourth, we have to learn to be accepting, to be proud of who we are, and to forgive ourselves for any wrong doing because these are the bodies we will have forever. If there's no inner love, then the process is impossible.

Finally, after we target everything that is listed above, we have to "live" it. This is the hardest part. We must control our inner voices, stop living by our egos, be present to every moment, be as authentic as we can be, work hard for it EVERYDAY, and never give up. I've talked to many after completing just the Forum alone and I've found that a few think they've been fixed after one weekend. That's not a realistic assumption and that's why I immediately began reading self-improvement and spirituality books. It takes a whole lifetime to get where we want to be so in order for us to not fall back into those old patterns, we have to be willing to commit forever.

Tags: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Josh said...

I really like this post. These words make so much sense to me and ring so true. I think that we often carry around these emotional shackles that we're unaware of. It takes a great deal of hard work and courage to confront, deal with and release them. Saying that a life tansition is a lifetime of work makes so much sense. It's in the title. It's not a 5 minute transition. If it were, it'd be much easier. I think it's important to not become overwhelmed by the big picture, but to be present in the moment and take things as they come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home