Monday, August 07, 2006

Creature of Habit

I am totally a creature of habit. Jenn and I were talking about this the other night, amongst other funny things that I'll probably write about at some point. For instance, finding deals at grocery stores. HA! Sorry, that was random. Anyway, she tends to park in the same parking spot anytime she goes somewhere more than once and that 's how I started thinking about the things that I do out of habit. Before my "vacation" began, I was all about my routine, nothing was different. I'd go to bed almost the same time every night and I'd get up for the gym EARLY in the morning. I'd immediately change into my workout clothes, brush my teeth, get my lunch that I packed the night before, fill my coffee cup, and leave. I'd do the SAME thing every morning and night, without even thinking about it. It was a habit I intentionally created, which made the whole routine easy to adapt to. My habit was getting up early and then everything else followed.

Funny how it doesn't work for me anymore! Not only is it difficult for me to get up earlier than 8, I can't get myself to go to the gym. It's a habit that I want back, but I guess not bad enough to create it again. My new habit is waking up whenever I feel like it, drinking my coffee, logging onto the Internet, and watching the news. It's a routine that I am thoroughly enjoying at this time in my life. At some point, I have no doubt that I'll welcome the gym back into my day. Could be sooner, could be later...who knows! That's the best part of it all:)

3 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least I didn't lose my car when we went to dinner...HA! Man, that night was hilarious...and I STILL got my paper done after a bottle and a half of wine!

You know what? I do several things out of habit. I think we need some items in our life to be consistent, so when things do get a little bumpy these habitual rituals (does that make sense? HA!) help you feel like everything is and will be, OK!

Think about it. I bet you usually go to the same grocery store. When you go to another store you don't know the layout of the isles and it may take you forever to find an item you're looking for. These habits not only make us feel like we are in control, but they save us time and unnecessary frustration. So don't worry about having habits...just worry about the habits that keep you from enjoying your life and hold you back from exploring!

And I need to figure out what the hell to do with all of those 10 for $5 yogurts I purchase on sale! *kiss*

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.~And you know any time you DON'T want to go to the gym you have a partner. I'll spot you...happy hour! *wink wink*

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Josh said...

It's funny. I was just talking about this topic with my mom the other day. I realized just what a creature of habit I am and I questioned if that was odd. lol. It seems to me that people need to set boundaries and routines to stay focused and comfortable. What starts in chaos typically ends that way. Routines help ensure that we get everything done. In a way, they are a mental check list of sorts. I know that I personally do the same things every morning while getting ready for work. I wouldn't want it any other way. I'd hate to be running around my apartment 10 minutes late for work with no car keys and one shoe on. Why put yourself though all that drama. Right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home