Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Teacher Thoughts

I didn't get a job today and I'm not upset at all about it. Hehe. The last few jobs have not been great...the kids are out of control. I can't imagine being a substitute teacher as a life long career. I do get the benefit of it. We get to choose when we want to work, we don't have to prepare, and we get to leave at the end of the day. However, every class I go into, I immediately want to change the way the classroom procedures are and the perceptions that are in the room. I can't help it after being a teacher for 5 years. I see these young kids, who are developing their young minds and it's frustrating. Many teachers don't do this work (Landmark or other self-development programs), so they bring their garbage in, putting it on their students, and thinking it's okay because that's just the way life is. I'll walk around a school and hear nothing but yelling coming from the rooms. Many teacher's don't know how to relate, it's the only thing they are left with. It's sad because this is how most of the children I sub for are treated at home...they don't know what's possible. I actually had a conversation about this with a 5th grade class last week. We discussed humanity and how we should be nice to everyone. I told them to choose a partner and say 5 things they like about each other. Most couldn't even do it. They laughed and were totally embarrassed. I got it so we had a discussion. They said people don't talk like that, especially at home. There's more name calling and corrections than there are compliments and acknowledgments. So, when a teacher is yelling at them, it's normal and that's what life is about. After all, we're their mentors and we're educating their minds. If they don't know any different and teacher's aren't willing to take that stand, how can we expect the things we do from them? I think ALL teacher's should be required to have some sort of training for their own self-development. That way, they can bring it into the classroom to those who aren't getting it from home, and help change the negative society that we all survive in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home