Thursday, April 06, 2006

One of my successes...

In my last post I talked about how we all need to remember a positive story opposed to our negative ones in order to be a success. I thought of one of my own stories that I'd like to share because many will probably be able to relate.

In my first year of college, I was your typical student...drinking a lot, eating a lot, taking daily naps and occasionally studying. All of these activities soon caught up to me and before I knew it, I joined the Freshman 15 Club. Okay fine, it was 20 but that's beside the point. I felt terrible about myself, not only because of how I looked, but that I didn't care enough to better myself. I made every excuse in the world to not workout and to continue doing what I was doing. I didn't think I had the strength or the will to lose weight, so I accepted the fact that I was a "chub" and that was who I was from then on.

It wasn't until my Sophomore year that I realized things needed to change. I not only looked overweight, I FELT it mentally, emotionally, and physically. I didn't want to be ashamed anymore. I wanted to go on Spring Break and feel good about myself. I said enough is enough and I don't HAVE to live like this. I started out slow with exercising and changed my eating and drinking habits. The thought of me in my bathing suit really kept me motivated because I didn't want to be the girl who wore a whole outfit on the beach to cover myself up. I cut down my drinking to 2 nights a week opposed to the 5 that I was doing. I stopped the late night pizza deliveries and Taco Bell runs, and started grocery shopping for all three meals and healthy snacks. Eventually, I got up to running 4 miles a day and the weight started melting off. Every Friday, I would step on the scale and I averaged about a 1-2 lbs weight loss. It was an amazing feeling as my clothing size started to drop and I was wearing clothes I never would've thought I could fit in. People were taking notice, my self-esteem was improving and my life was suddenly changing. And, it was all because of ME. I did this. Nobody was to blame for my weight gain and nobody was to credit for my weight loss. I knew what I wanted. I knew how I wanted to feel. And, I knew what I needed to do to make it happen. I unknowingly made a possibility for myself and I kept my word! It's crazy to think what you can accomplish when you're ready and willing to accept that you hold all the power.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home