Monday, June 05, 2006

Balance

Jill and I went to Runyan this morning with the dogs. When we were finished, I headed over to the gym...FINALLY! I realized how much balance plays a big part of being happy in life. I felt good that I made it there, but felt even better knowing that I didn't have to be so extreme about lifting weights. This new attitude alone will keep me going because I don't feel that I HAVE to like I did.

My story: I used to work out like a mad woman. I was obsessed with being toned, making sure my arms and everything else was nice and tight. It took a lot of work. I'd get up at 4:15 am and go work out for 1 1/2-2 hours before school. I felt great but then it started to wear on me. Pretty soon I got burnt out from the gym and stopped going after 2 years of intense work outs and very healthy eating habits. I got bored and I couldn't get back into it. I would feel depressed that I didn't have the motivation that I once had, which then lead me to think I'm a lazy ass and there's no way I will get there again. Thankfully, I realize now that I'm still relatively active and I don't need those arms of steal. I am very comfortable with my activity level and I never feel strained for it. It's amazing what a new perspective on living can do for the quality of life. I'm enjoying being balanced because it doesn't cause stress and it keeps me motivated.

A balanced life makes a happy one. Living the extreme will easily distract us from all the other important aspects of life and keeps the enjoyment out of the task we're doing. It makes it more of a necessity rather than a choice, which leads to that moment of dread right before we get started. It's not a good feeling to have, especially if it's a daily occurence. It takes the fun out of living and puts a damper on our daily routines. Furthermore, we tend to be more open-minded when we're balanced and that in itself will open new doors to new opportunities, ones we never even saw coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home