Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Selfless Act

Jamie, Quinn, Emmitt, Riley and I had to get out of our house yesterday because we were getting it sprayed for bugs. We actually had to make it a point to be out of the house for a couple of hours. The only place we could think of that wasn't far away was of course Runyan Canyon. Wow...that was a major mistake!

We get there and of course we are fully aware that it was 100 degrees out, so in preparation I brought extra water. To my dismay, it still wasn't enough.

Riley couldn't even make it all the way DOWN, she had to be carried in my back pack. Of course, Jamie took my bag so she could carry her, bless her heart. Anyway, when we stopped to put Riley in the back pack, that is when the first water consumption started.

We were definitely hot at this point, but we were surviving it. Therefore, we didn't really think about how much water we were using each time we took a break. By the time we got down to the bottom, we had already used up the first bottle. Still, we didn't think it was as hot as we thought it would be so we decided to go up the steep side (not the hardest hike, but it's the second to hardest one), which was straight up stupid. Riley still couldn't walk at this point...I tried to get her to, but she fell on her back, so, we put her back in.

As we were climbing, I started to feel chills, which I know wasn't good in 100 degree weather. I overheated once before in a soccer game which 3 people had to take off my gear and water me down before I passed out. Anyway, I started to remember what that was like. Soooo, long story short, both Riley and I were really struggling. We used the rest of the water to cool down the other dogs as they walked, so we had no water and there was no shade to be found.

We got to the top (slowly) of the steep part and then I realized that I really did need some shade to rest for a minute-I just couldn't go any longer. I had bad chills at this point.

Lo and behold, Jamie put Riley down, the bag down and all of the leashes and ran with Emmitt and Quinn to the beginning of the hike where there was a water bucket thingy (hard to explain).


Now...this is amazing considering how hot, steep and far away from it we were. She filled up the water bottle, and came all the way back down and poured it all over Riley and I. This was such a selfless act, she didn't even think twice before doing it. I felt very loved and taken care of...so did Riley.

We walked back up together (Jamie's second time walking back up there, mind you) into the air conditioned car. I love you Jamie...thanks for that! Seriously.

2 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Awwww...thanks! I love you too;)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Way to go Jamie! Gold star for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home